Friday, July 25, 2008

MISCATI - When Grandma Is The Pusher







MISCATI? Yes, Miscati. Look at the pic and I dare you to say you already know what this is.
Ehhhh….We are talking heavy stuff here! Not your “I’ll just try it once, I can quit whenever I want to” kind of drug. You try Miscati once and you’re in the tunnel. There’s no turning back. The person responsible for all this goes under the name of Nonna Maria and it’s my friend Chiaretta’s grandma.

This is bread but it’s not your average bread. It’s sausage, but it’s not a sausage dish. There’s cheese in it too. It’s a good snack, it’s great for picnics, it perfectly fits in your buffets, wonderful to-go food, great on the table during a nice dinner, even with its rustic old fashioned aura (or maybe because of it)…the only problem with it is to find the will power you need to quit eating them once you start.

I met Chiaretta through the cooking club I belong to in Italy and she was kind enough to share the recipe of these little wonders with us. Her nonna (grandma) used to make these little guys for her and taught her how to do them, so Chiaretta eventually taught us. Now they are on our table very, very often, and I haven’t met anybody yet who has told me they don’t like them. Chiaretta says that both Miscati and Nonna Maria should be on the Unesco list for our World Heritage and I perfectly agree with her. To all those who haven’t tried them yet, if you get the chance to do it do so at your own risk. Just don’t say I did not warn you…

3 comments:

Esmé said...

Confermo tutto. Non posso neanche dire che sto cercando di smettere, perché non è vero. I miscati di nonna Maria sono una certezza quando la vita è incerta, un conforto quando la vita è scomoda, e un piacere quando la vita già sorride. Un passepartout per la felicità temporanea.

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Eleonora and I'm a miscataholic. No twelve-step program for me, thanks: I'm happy to be a taste addict.
Eleonora

Anonymous said...

ehi dani, you "forgot" to write down the recipe!! :D baci!