Sunday, July 6, 2008

All In One Plate


You are looking at a plate that makes most of my friends back at home shake their heads in disapproval. Isn't it just terrible?

Take a second look: Bavette al Limone, Gamberi al Rosmarino, Verdure Grigliate (Lemon Linguine, Rosemary Shrimp, Grilled Vegetables).

What's the problem? THE PLATE IS! "You don't put pasta, seafood and veggies in the same plate, Dani!" At home they would never!

Confession time: I have, as you can see, and I still do it quite often.

I must admit I have come to terms with this american habit of "building" the entree plate that had shocked me too, at first. It offers possibilities and some mix are interesting. Of course I still think it fits better American food than it does Italian and when I cook for some more important occasion I tend to stick to the traditional "multiple courses" and "multiple plates" meal I am more familiar with. But like I said I have started to like the cross-contamination.

To my Italian friends: if you think about it there are exceptions to the normal standard in our tradition too. Take Ossobuco col Risotto alla Milanese, for instance...OK, OK, got it: it's no excuse. I promise: when you come visit, you will never be offered a plate like this! We'll pretend this conversation has never happened and you will be kind enough to forgive my weirdness...

4 comments:

Esmé said...

Honey, mi sono permessa una aggiustatina al layout di questo post. Quel testo che si ammassava accanto alla foto mi faceva disordine :-)
Il tuo Angelo del Blog

Esmé said...

Ok. Adesso parliamo del piatto, che avevo abbondantemente criticato in via preliminare.
Avevi minacciato tagliatelle ai funghi: vedo invece gentili e adeguatissime linguine al limone, che coi gamberi e le verdure grigliate mi raccapricciano meno. Anzi, guarda: persino mi piacciono!
Avevi però descritto un grande piatto quadrato, che mi faceva immaginare una presentazione un po' rarefatta e modaiola... ora, va bene tutto, ma potresti almeno dare una pettinata a quelle bavette, per favooooore? Sembra che le abbia spalate lì un muratore di passaggio!
E ora, soddisfatta per aver trovato il pelo nell'uovo, me ne vado a mangiare i miei tradizionalissimi pomodori al riso alla romana.

Unknown said...

1) trattasi di foto d'archivio, non riferita al pranzo a cui pensi tu, quindi di altra pietanza si tratta
2) il cibo in quell'occasione e' stato impiattato da altri. Non che se me ne fossi occupata personalmente il risultato sarebbe migliorato, anzi: ho la grazia ed il gusto estetico di una cavernicola. Ma e' vero, le bavette andavano pettinate un pochino...

Anonymous said...

Benvenuta nel club delle "cazzuole d'oro", Dani.

By the way, this kind of presentation fits the Finnish way too. So we get accustomed as well.

And I usually do the same in Italy with the Austro-Hungarian meat dishes (goulash or game) and pasta (tagliatelle al burro or gnocchetti).

Syl