Monday, June 30, 2008

Keep It Simple!





Keep It Simple, that's my motto, in the kitchen and in my life. Which is, unlike one might think, easier said than done. At least when you don't want to risk to slip from "simple" into "plain". Especially with food.


Instinctively I hate it when too many flavors are combined to the point that you cannot tell one from the other. To me, just like in music, harmony does not take a whole bunch of notes to sound beautifully. Three of them and you have your perfect chord, right? Same in my kitchen. BUT....eheheh...of course there's a BUT! Those few ingredients must be excellent quality. That's all that you need to know about it. So don't rush adding this and that to your recipe, try on the contrary to do the opposite, to figure out what you can take out instead, but do not settle for second best in terms of quality. If I still have not convinced you, follow these easy steps to my "simple=delicious" test and then let me know.



1) SLICE OF GOOD BREAD (Tuscan, preferably. If not, a nice fresh baguette will do the trick)


2) CLOVE OF GARLIC (can't go wrong with that. Don't you even think of going reach for the garlic powder I KNOW you have in that spice cabinet of yours...)


3) GOOD EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL. (Italian. Double-check that label, please. Thaaank you!)


4) MARINE SALT

OK, now grill the bread. Peel the garlic. As soon as the bread is ready, yes while it's still VERY hot, energetically rub the garlic over the bread. Pinch of salt. Drizzle with EVOO, as someone cuter than me would say...


Now comes the best part. Sit (imperative). Slowly bring the bruschetta to your mouth. Oh, I did not tell you it was a good "bruschetta" I was talking about? Bad Dani!


Now shhhhhhh.....*crunch*....*crunch, crunch*...*crunch, crunch, crunch*. No other words necessary. Now you tell me, after the test: is this plain or....SIMPLY heaven?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, we all just eated brischetta yesterday, it was Luca's wish! :)))) simply heaven, of course, but we added small tomato cubes on it. ele

Anonymous said...

Giusto! Si comincia dai fondamentali! Approvata. (Aglio in polvere? Puah!)

Silvia

Unknown said...

Do you have any classes available July 16th - 18th?

Unknown said...

Hey Sandra,
I know my schedule for each week around friday, but it should not be a problem. Please contact me via email (damo267@yahoo.it) so that I can give you more details. Thank You! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is just GREAT!
I'll stay tuned and get inspisration, as I'm going to do more or less the same in Finland.
Let's have fun and cook together in Italian.

Syl in Vasa, Finland