Monday, January 10, 2011

Belated Bigoi



Bigoi (or Bigoli) in Salsa are a very old, north Italian dish that we traditionally eat for Christmas Eve, when it's supposed to obey the Catholic rule of fasting and abstinence, since there is no meat in it.

I must confess that I always felt a little guilty about this, though, because to me it's always been a treat big time! So much for the act of penance! I used to anticipate Christmas Eve, mostly because my mom cooked Bigoi in Salsa every year.

Oh, how I love this rustic, heavy, quite impossible to digest plate of pasta!
Picture this: lots and lots of onions, slowly cooked in olive oil and a little wine. Anchovies. Lots of those too. Patiently dissolved in the already sinful sauce. Black pepper. No cheese for me, thank you. Can it get less of a punishment for my sins than that?

Anyway, with my parents visiting for the holidays I just realized the other day that I had not had my plate of Bigoi in years, so I placed a request and my mother cooked them for me, only... in January.

Still taste, I am sorry, like Heaven!

No comments: